(OutdoorGardenLiving)- The Earthwise LST10012 powers on an 18 Volt Lithium Ion battery, with a rating of 2.6 amp/hr- about two times the amp most other trimmer manufactures equip on their tools.
A better alternative to gas, lead acid and Ni-cad batteries
The biggest benefit of using the Earthwise LST10012 is the rechargeable ion lithium battery it operates on, rather than Ni-cad and lead acid batteries which are more in weight on a trimmer and gas fuel becomes an unnecessary pollutant.
-These environmentally-friendly batteries maintain their peak power through the duration of their charge.
Recharging the battery should take about 40 minutes based on the ion batteries’ 2.6 amp/hr rating, but usually takes anywhere from <30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.
- No fumes from gas and, no cords to plug into an outlet
- Easy to assemble
- People with varying height can adjust the tube length and handle to accommodate their position
- The trimmer balances out well and is light enough to maneuver and cut in awkward spots
- Only comes with one battery
- The original string packaged with the Earthwise has a tendency to seize up when trimming, and break away when hitting harder surfaces like rock. Found to be successful is replacing the string with a reputed commercial brand string
- Few have proclaimed the battery arrived defective with their shipment. Customer service has proved resilient in these instances, promptly delivering a new battery in short order
Features of the Earthwise LST10012 Cordless Electric String Trimmer
-2.6 AH LI-ion battery with 18 V- gives the Trimmer power of 7,800 RPM
-standard .065 inch diameter of line – single auto line feed
–Upper Handle is able to rotate 180 degrees with an edging function
-Adjustable cutting head with 3 positions
-possible cutting angles from 0 (straight) to 30 and 45 degrees. This is a nice advantage, as changing the angle gives you the ability to edge along sidewalks and other crevices
–Adjustable telescopic handle for height adaptation
-Edge guard flips down to minimize flying debris
–Lock off switch to safeguard from accidental starting
Overall, you may not get the ‘umph’ and duration of a regular gas-powered edger when trimming a field lengthy/weighed down with weeds and grass, but this cordless LST10012 makes up for it with it’s lightweight, cord- and gas-free, and quiet nature.
Where to Find the Best Price
Amazon invariably has the best price online for these trimmers, so I would check there first.
Update June 2015: It appears the LST10012 has been discontinued. See below for models that are comparable.
The Earthwise CST00012– High reviews; almost half the price of what the LST10012 is and 0.8 pounds lighter, with the exact same 12 inch cutting path and 18 volts of power, but uses a NiCad battery rather than the favorable lithium ion
My personal preference: The Black & Decker LST220– Same online price, trustworthy brand. Reflects key features of the LST10012 and has an additional 2 volts in it’s lithium ion battery, and also weighs a touch less at 8.7 pounds.
If you’re still on the fence about the Earthwise LST10012, then check out the GreenWorks 21072 cordless trimmer. A bit more in price, but it’s also cordless and has 20V of power- two more volts compared to the LST10012.